Update: Master of International Event Management Profile
The Master of Science in International Event Management is aimed at a range of students and practitioners from different backgrounds. Although the MSc programme will be suited to business professionals from a broad range of business administration fields, in all sectors and branches, it has been specifically designed for those who wish to pursue senior management positions within the events industry or as preparation for further study in the field, such as a PhD in the field of events, or in the hospitality management, tourism management or other service sector management areas. WUP was asked to look at specific careers in the events industry for graduates of this Master programme, and found career areas including:
Policy and planning advisor: Big sport events, festivals or conferences have a big impact on host communities and can mean big business for countries. Based on your expert knowledge in the field, you advise national, provincial or local governments on policy, planning and strategy around these events while adhering to targets.
Project manager of international festival or event: In an increasingly globalized world international events like the Olympic Games, conferences and festivals draw thousands of attendees. As manager you have final control and responsibility for everything from finance to operations and logistics - overseeing location, marketing, transport and accommodation.
Consultant for a service organization: Many organizations in the public and private sector lacks managerial capacity and make use of external consultants in analyzing markets, guiding development or devising strategies to optimize the benefits of an event and ensure a broad database of suppliers and contractors. You can either work as an independent consultant or as part of a big consultancy firm.
Entrepreneur: As owner of an events company, your goal is to make every event - whether a small breakfast meeting or an international fashion show - a success. A good reputation is everything in this business, if you want to make your company a success. Having in-depth knowledge of the industry, as provided by a master degree, will give you an edge over your competitors.
Lecturer and trainer: With the growth in the service sector comes the need for a skilled workforce. Most higher education facilities today require their teaching staff to have a master degree. Lecturing in the events industry can be a highly fulfilling career.
the Event Management Industry
‘Events Management’ is a multimillion euro industry and, in the case of large organizations, often forms part of a company’s marketing strategy. It is foreseen that the increased nature of global business will make the demand for events even higher. Though technology shrank the world, face-to-face meetings as a way of networking are still highly valued.
In-depth theoretical and practical knowledge as offered by the Master of Science in International Event Management, will make your application for a job stand out.
Events can be roughly categorized in the following ways:
• Leisure: This includes big sport events like the FIFA World Football Cup, festivals like the Glastonbury Music Festival in the UK, or fashion shows in Tokyo or Paris.
• Business: Most businesses spend more than 8 % of their budgets on events-based marketing and branding, and from the head of marketing and branding to the most senior PA, Event Management is a constant feature of their business administration field.
• Personal: Planning personal events like weddings and anniversaries in a highly organized way and not just ad hoc have become common place.
• Organizational: This includes small business events like a breakfast meeting to huge conferences attended by thousands of delegates. Also falling under this category would be fundraisers, NGO and public sector events.
• Cultural: This would include celebrations around heritage like the Bastille festivities in France and traditional ceremonies.
For more information on the Master of International Event Management at Wittenborg University: http://www.wittenborg.eu/msc-international-event-management-full-time.htm
©Wittenborg University Press