Skip to main content

Wittenborg Mourns Passing of Dr Ton Borchert

by Wittenborg News -
Number of replies: 0

Wittenborg Mourns the Passing of a Distinguished Marketing Educator, Dr Ton Borchert

Dr Ton Borchert, a lecturer at Wittenborg University of Applied Sciences, has passed away at the age of 67 after a brief hospitalisation. 

Born in 1956, Antonius (Ton) H. Borchert was a distinguished educator and professional, boasting extensive academic qualifications and experience in marketing, education and business. 

Dr Borchert's career spanned several roles and institutions, including the Hogeschool Utrecht, Maastricht School of Management, Karel de Grote University of Applied Sciences and the Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam. Beyond these roles, he embarked on a scholarly adventure, delivering captivating guest lectures and engaging in collaborative projects at universities and business schools throughout various European countries. His influence extended into the world of literature, where he authored notable educational publications. Among the highlights of his illustrious career was his work on the book, 'Principes van Marketing' ('Principles of Marketing'), which he adapted for the Dutch market. 

In 2013, Dr Borchert briefly taught at WUAS to substitute for another lecturer, re-joining the team later in September 2022 to teach Marketing Management in the master's programmes.

Head of School of Business at Wittenborg Rauf Abdul said that he was deeply saddened to hear about the sudden loss of his colleague. 

"I would like to pass on my heartfelt condolences to his family and his two children during this difficult time. I know that words cannot take away the pain his family is feeling, but I hope that they can find some comfort in knowing that they are in our thoughts." 

He was a valued member of WUAS, Abdul reflects. "We were lucky to have him as a colleague. He had recently joined us as a lecturer, and his contributions to our students and institution were already evident. He was a kind and thoughtful person, and his loss will be felt by all who knew him." 

A farewell ceremony in honour of Ton Borchert took place on Saturday, 30 September, in Zeist.

Head of Operations at Wittenborg, Lasantha De Silva, attended the ceremony, describing it as a profoundly sombre day for everyone. 

De Silva also noted that students were deeply saddened by his passing, stating, "It truly exemplifies the profound influence he had on his students and colleagues. He was not just a great man but a genuine marketing guru. His steadfast dedication, expertise and heartfelt care was notable. He didn't merely teach; he cultivated minds, fostered critical thinking and ignited an unwavering passion for marketing." 

422 words