Skip to main content

Welcoming New Faces: Introduction Week Block 3

by Wittenborg News -
Number of replies: 0

Embracing diversity

Block 3 kicks off with the traditional introduction week in which Wittenborg University of Applied Sciences welcomes new students from all over the world to their campus at Brinklaan in Apeldoorn. 45 students (18 in Amsterdam and 27 in Apeldoorn) become part of the Wittenborg family and get the chance to meet other students, faculty and staff, and learn about the school and the Netherlands. Wittenborg once again underlines its international reputation by increasing diversity within the school, with new students from China, Nigeria, Uzbekistan, USA, Bangladesh, Germany, India, Iran, Sri Lanka and Vietnam. "Because the programme is in English and diversity is highly valued at Wittenborg, I get the chance to meet new people and new cultures," explains Kamilla Mirodilova from Uzbekistan, who is part of Wittenborg's new generation of students.

A warm welcome to the Netherlands

The week started with an introduction to Dutch culture, Apeldoorn and the Netherlands. In this way, students are fully prepared for living, studying and working within Dutch society. There is an increase of international students in the Netherlands, and they need to be prepared for life in another country with different rules and cultures. Wittenborg considers it important that students feel comfortable in a completely new environment and have access to basic knowledge. It is not unusual for international students to be unfamiliar with the rules of studying in the Netherlands. Recent research shows that 70% of international students in the Netherlands are not aware of their right to a loan and the student travel product when they work more than 56 hours per month.

Furthermore, they were given an introduction to Wittenborg student accommodation, Dutch legal registrations and lessons on how to write a paper. The students were also given a workshop on how to apply for a job in the Netherlands, what jobs they can get after graduation and where to get a side job alongside their studies at Wittenborg. Since 2014, the Netherlands has had a student loan structure through which students borrow money and build up study debt. To avoid or reduce the building up of study debt, many students have a part-time job alongside their studies. With 70% of the Dutch students having a side job, the Netherlands has the highest share of working students and apprentices in the European Union. Working alongside your studies is widely recognised in the Netherlands. It is also essential to understand what opportunities are available to you when you finish Wittenborg and enter the work field.

New goals and different opportunities

On Thursday, the meet-and-greet took place where students could have a drink and a sandwich while finally meeting Wittenborg faculty and staff. Over lunch, Wittenborg CEO Maggie Fang shared a word of advice: "If you want to be successful in this country, try to learn Dutch and try to get to know Dutch culture. In the Netherlands, a good handshake can make all the difference in the world."  

The new generation of students got a good first impression of Wittenborg. They may come with different goals and see different opportunities, but all appreciate the international character of the academy. "I chose Wittenborg because the Netherlands is always a goal to study" says Iris Sun, IBA student from China. "In my country, we have formal answers to our studies, while here students are asked to think critically. I am looking forward to new ways of studying."  

Brendon Bikwa from Zimbabwe came to Apeldoorn for a total career change and was keen to choose a university that can help him follow his dreams. "I graduated as an engineer and organised club events before I understood that marketing is my calling," he explains. He chose Wittenborg because of its very good reputation and successful stories. "Here the real world comes to me, and I have the chance to talk to people working in the field."

Wittenborg wishes its new generation of students good luck and success in their studies.

WUP 10/12/2022
by Niels Otterman
©WUAS Press

707 words