Skip to main content

Marketing Student Researches Impact of Green Fashion Products on Dutch Consumers

Marketing Student Researches Impact of Green Fashion Products on Dutch Consumers
by Wittenborg News -
Number of replies: 0

https://www.wittenborg.eu/marketing-student-researches-impact-green-fashion-products-dutch-consumers.htm

Raweena Mannoesingh Advocates Conscious Consumption

Having been interested in fashion since she was a child and a vegetarian for almost 10 years, Wittenborg student Raweena Mannoesingh decided to write her graduation assignment on how green fashion products impact Dutch consumers.

Mannoesingh, who has just completed a bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communication and Information (MCI), explains that The Ocean Cleanup project, developed by Dutch entrepreneur Boyan Slat, was also an inspiration for her thesis topic.

“This subject interests me because it affects all of us, as well as future generations and wildlife. Fashion is one of the most polluting industries in the world and has caused health issues, ocean pollution and various other problems. In my opinion, many consumers do not understand how their choices impact the world, and that was my motivation to become a vegetarian,” she says.

To learn more about Dutch consumers’ buying behaviours and opinions on green fashion products, Mannoesingh designed and distributed questionnaires, relying on a sample of 45respondents. Her research identifies three key factors which influence the purchasing behaviour of Dutch consumers: price, product trend and the acceptance of consumers.

Mannoesingh points out that even though businesses and the younger generations are becoming more environmentally conscious, a single individual or company will not be able to make a significant impact, and both people and the industry must work together to create a more sustainable future.

She adds that, by conducting this study, she has changed her views on the consumption of fashion products. “I used to purchase most of my clothing from fast fashion brands, but while doing my thesis I began to change my perspective and became more conscious of what I was purchasing. Now, I seriously consider my clothing choices before I purchase them.”

Regarding her plans for the future, Mannoesingh, who was born and raised in the Netherlands, says that she would like to work as an expat in different countries and gain experience all over the world. “I have always dreamed of moving abroad and living in a warm country. It would be nice to work for an NGO as well, just to help make the world a better place. Having variety keeps me motivated and prevents me from getting bored quickly.”

WUP 20/2/2022
by Ulisses Sawczuk
©WUAS Press

412 words