FAQ Studying @ Wittenborg

Browse the glossary using this index

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | ALL
Currently sorted First name ascending Sort by: Surname | First name change to descending

Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  13  (Next)

Picture of Anita Baraik

Anita Baraik


Booking Appointments: How to book an appointment at Wittenborg?

(Last edited: Tuesday, 16 June 2020, 5:26 PM)

If you wish to speak to any of the Wittenborg staff (for example, your process tutor), please invite them for an appointment using the Microsoft Office Calendar.

In the attached document you will find a detailed guide.


Links: How to access useful links?

(Last edited: Monday, 13 July 2020, 11:54 AM)

Please find some useful links below:

Study information

For study-related questions please contact your Process Tutor through the online area.

Process Tutor Areas (links)



School Holidays: How to know my school holidays: general year planning?

(Last edited: Monday, 13 July 2020, 5:02 PM)

All year plannings are published on the wittenborg.eu website: https://www.wittenborg.eu/downloads.htm

You can find study period, exam period and vacation plannings there.


Turnitin: How to access the Turnitin Guide

(Last edited: Friday, 18 September 2020, 1:59 PM)

All students are required to submit their written reports/assignments/exams through the Turnitin plagiarism software. This is considered part of the formal submission requirements.

Turnitin is used by Wittenborg University of Applied Science to detect cases of plagiarism. The software compares the writing used within any document to other sources, for instance, websites on the Internet, journal articles, books, and other student work from other universities. Further details of the Turnitin submission process are provided during Wittenborg Introduction Week.

In the attached document you will see the detailed guide.

Picture of Hanna Abdelwahab Hanna

Hanna Abdelwahab Hanna


Academic Supervisor: When/How can I request for an Academic Supervisor?

(Last edited: Friday, 18 September 2020, 12:06 PM)

One of the fundamental purposes of the Graduation Assignment is to ensure students carry out original applied research in a field that is related to their specialisation. This is done with the guidance of an academic supervisor, who is appointed in the final phase of a bachelor's degree programme, or from the first semester of the master's degree programme. Academic supervisors are always members of the academic staff at WUAS, appointed by the Graduation and Examination Board (GEB).

Academic supervisors will be allocated according to various criteria including their familiarity with the proposed topic, their knowledge of the relevant methodologies, their experience in conducting and supervising applied research projects and their workloads.

You can request for an Academic Supervisor when you meet the following pre-requisites:

  •         For bachelor’s students: you have obtained 140 ECs (credits);
  •         For master’s students: you have received approval on your Research Topic in Semester 1;

To request an Academic Supervisor, please complete the Online Academic Supervisor Request Form via the links below. You will receive a confirmation email approximately between 3-7 working days after submitting the form completely. Once an Academic Supervisor is assigned to you, please make contact with your Academic Supervisor by making an appointment using the Microsoft Office Calendar.

Apeldoorn Bachelor’s Students: Academic Supervisor Request Form

Apeldoorn Master’s Students: Academic Supervisor Request Form

Amsterdam Academic Supervisor Request Form


COVID-19 Test: How can I get tested for coronavirus?

(Last edited: Thursday, 10 September 2020, 11:14 AM)

If you have symptoms such as a cold, cough, fever or sudden loss of smell or taste, you can get tested to see if you are infected with coronavirus. This will help us control the spread of the virus and protect one another.

 Register for a coronavirus test

 If you have (mild) symptoms of COVID-19, make an appointment to get tested. Call the toll-free number 0800 1202 (or +31 850 659 063 if you're calling from a foreign phone) or make an appointment online using your DigiD (choose 'English' at the bottom of the page). Be sure to have your citizen service number (BSN) at hand.

 You can only make an appointment if you have one or more symptoms of COVID-19, such as: cold-like symptoms, a stuffy nose, a runny nose, sneezing, a sore throat, a cough, fever, or sudden loss of smell or taste.  If you have severe symptoms or belong to an at-risk group, contact a doctor or A&E department. In a life-threatening situation, always call 112.

 Testing at a GGD test location

 GGD test location in Apeldoorn: Vlijtseweg 106, Apeldoorn

GGD test locations in Amsterdam: https://www.ggd.amsterdam.nl/coronavirus/testen-corona/testlocaties-amsterdam/

 When you call 0800-1202 (or +31 850 659 063 if you're calling from abroad) you’ll be connected to an assistant. This is not a doctor. The assistant will find the first available appointment for you. Some test locations can only be accessed by car.  Once your test appointment is confirmed over the phone, you will receive a confirmation SMS together with the time and address.

 Stay at home until it is time to go to the test location. Bring proof of identity and confirmation of your appointment with you. Your details will be checked when you arrive.  A GGD staff member will use a cotton swab to collect mucus from your throat and nose. The swab will go deep into your nose and throat. It will not hurt, but will probably feel uncomfortable. Go home immediately after the test and stay home until you get the results. 

 Coronavirus test results

 If you made an appointment by telephone, you will receive your result by telephone as soon as possible. If you made an appointment online, you will receive a telephone call only if you test positive. The municipal health service (GGD) will call you. You do not need to call them.

 If your test comes back negative, you can confirm your result by logging in to the coronavirus test website using your DigiD (choose 'English' at the bottom of the page). You will be notified  by email when your result is available on the website, normally within 2 days.  If the test is negative, you are not infected with coronavirus. But you must still continue to observe the general measures. 

If the test shows that you do have COVID-19, someone from the GGD will call you for contact tracing.

 Contact tracing

 Contact tracing means working out where you may have contracted the infection (the source). The GGD also looks at whom you have been in contact with (PDF, 210 KB), and whom you may have infected (your contacts). The purpose of contact tracing is to prevent the virus from spreading further. You and your contacts will be given specific instructions on what to do. You and any other members of your household must in any case stay at home for 10 days. The GGD will explain what this means. It is important that you inform your GP, employer and/or in-house medical officer of the results of the test.

 Coronavirus test at Schiphol Airport

 If you are travelling to the Netherlands from a COVID-19 risk area you can get tested for coronavirus at Schiphol Airport. The municipal health service (GGD) does not test all travellers from COVID-19 risk areas.

 If you are unsure or need any support, please contact the Front Desk at 088 667 2688 or e-mail  support_covid19@wittenborg.eu.


DUO: How and when to apply for a DUO's Tuition Fee Statement form (Verklaring Instellingscollegegeld form)?

(Last edited: Wednesday, 21 October 2020, 5:06 PM)

Please know that the arrangement of a study finance/ study loan is always between the student and DUO. So if you have any questions whether you are entitled to receive study finance/ study loan in the Netherlands as a foreign student or regarding your monthly allowance, please check the Rijksoverheid website and/ or the DUO website. In case you are unable to find the answers you are looking for on any of the websites, you are advised to give DUO a call.

If you are entitled to apply for a DUO study loan/study finance, you can request a Tuition Fee Statement form ("Verklaring Instellingscollegegeld" form) from us, by (digitally) completing only section 1 of the attached form and sending it to registrar@wittenborg.eu. We will complete the rest of the form for you, sign and stamp it, and send it back to you by email so that you can upload it in your "Mijn DUO". Or in case of any complications with the upload, send it by email to DUO via documenten@duo.nl.

Take note that this whole process goes together with your enrolment in our system, as well as the DUO system. That is why we need to check from our system if you are enrolled for the period you have provided to DUO a Tuition Fee Statement form for. If for whatever reason you have not/ cannot be enrolled yet for the new period as stated in the form (e.g. because of any outstanding fees), we will contact you. 

Two important things to keep in mind:

  • Please only request a Tuition Fee Statement form from us, at the moment you have received a new invoice from us, for the new period of your enrolment. If you have still not received an invoice from us for the new period of your enrolment, by latest one month before your current enrolment will end, please send an email to registrar@wittenborg.eu.
  • Please keep in mind that you do not receive a Tuition Fee Statement form automatically from us, without a request by email, even if we have previously provided you with one. So please do not forget to send us an email (registrar@wittenborg.eu) on time with your request, as it is your own responsibility to make sure that all the arrangements have been taken care of ahead of time.


English Competency: How can I improve my English level for my study?

(Last edited: Tuesday, 20 October 2020, 4:57 PM)

At Wittenborg, we have modules which help you develop your English Language competency. These are as follows: 
a) Mandatory PDP (Personal Development Planning) module which includes Academic English, as well as TIPS (Training in Interpersonal Skills) module. These two modules are mandatory for Phase 1 and Phase 2 Bachelor students but optional for Master students. These modules help you to develop your academic writing skills as well as presentation skills. You will have opportunities to practice these skills by participating in the lessons, activities and seminars.
b) For students who failed the Support English Assessment (the Diagnostic Writing Test carried out during Introduction Day), they have to attend the Support English module. This support module will help to raise your English standards to a level where the general English is solid enough to eventually incorporate the more specific skills of Academic English.

Apart from the above, you can also do your own self-study through relevant reading materials or referring to English/Grammar/Vocabulary online sources. Try the following:
i) Check the EEG Part 5a Academic Writing Handbook for guides on the language and how to do referencing 

ii) Read this News article which gives suggestions on how you can improve your English

iii) Visit the website BBC: Go the Distance: Academic Writing

iv) Visit the website Harvard College Writing Centre: Strategies for Essay Writing

If you need further help, contact your English teacher or your process tutor/study advisor.


Exam Registration: How do I register for the exams?

(Last edited: Monday, 14 September 2020, 10:55 PM)

You are automatically registered for exams once you have enrolled for the modules.


Exam Results: What can I do if I think that my result is incorrect?

(Last edited: Monday, 14 September 2020, 11:00 PM)

You can contact your lecturer if you think that the result is incorrect.


Exam Results: When can I view my exam results?

(Last edited: Monday, 14 September 2020, 10:59 PM)

The results would be published in the Osiris ten working days after the date of the exam. If it is not available, students can send an email query to examresults@wittenborg.eu


Exam Timetable: How can I access the examination timetable?

(Last edited: Monday, 14 September 2020, 10:45 PM)

You need to login in the timetable, select your programme, then save timetable. Now, you can find your examination dates.

https://timetable.wittenborg.eu is the webpage that has all scheduled classes & exams for all programmes. You need to access it to find information on the scheduled class & exam location, date and time and lecturer details.


Graduation Assignment (GA/FP): What are the instructions for the printing and submission of the hardcopies of my GA/FP?

(Last edited: Thursday, 15 October 2020, 11:28 AM)

Students are required to print and submit 2 properly bound hardcopies of their GA/FP to Wittenborg's Front Desk. Please check the EEG Part 8 'GRADUATION ASSIGNMENT & FINAL PROJECT HANDBOOK’ and the Module Online Area for instructions on printing and submission requirements.


Graduation: I am graduating soon. When can I receive my diploma and transcript?

(Last edited: Wednesday, 5 August 2020, 12:43 AM)

Normally, diplomas and transcripts are ready for collection within 3 months after the graduation date. However, you can check with the registrar in case you need the documents earlier, by sending them an email: registrar@wittenborg.eu.


Health Insurance: I have received a letter from CAK. What should I do now?

(Last edited: Wednesday, 21 October 2020, 2:30 PM)

If you have received a letter from the CAK that say that you are ‘not insured’, it means that you do not have health insurance with a Dutch health insurer. Dutch basic/public health insurance is compulsory for people who work in the Netherlands. This health insurance is different from the International Health Insurance that international students have. (Note: The CAK (Centraal Administratiekantoor) is a government organisation that administers Dutch health insurance).

If you have a part-time job or if you are doing an internship for which you are paid at least as much as the Dutch minimum wage (click here for more information on the minimum wage), you are required to take out a Dutch basic/public health insurance. Even if you have not received a letter from CAK, you are strongly advised to take out the health insurance or risk getting a fine of €402.24. If you do receive the letter from CAK, please take action within the 3 months or any given period indicated in the letter. 

However, if you work on a self-employed basis or if you have received the letter from CAK incorrectly (because you don't have a part-time job or paid internship), or if you are in doubt whether you really need to arrange for a Dutch basic/public health insurance for yourself, you can contact SVB and start the Wlz assessment (also called the SVB investigation). You can do so by following the instructions below: Keep in mind that it might take 6-8 weeks before you receive the outcome of the Wlz assessment. Therefore, take action immediately after receiving the letter from the CAK.

1) Contact the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB) to request (free of charge) an investigation of your insurance position under the Wlz scheme. For this request, you can either do (A) or (B):

(A) Send by post: Fill up the attached Assessment of Wlz Insurance Position form (pdf) and send it together with all necessary documentary evidence to: SVB, Postbus 18607, 3501 CR Utrecht.


(B) Do it online. Click on this link Requesting an assessment of your Wlz insurance position online, and login using your DigiD. You can then submit your application quickly and easily.

2) Make a copy of the completed and signed 'Assessment of Wlz insurance position' form and send it immediately to the CAK as this proves that you have taken the necessary action. 

3) If the SVB decision is that you are not to be insured (that means you don’t have to take the Dutch Health Insurance), send a copy of the decision from SVB to the CAK. Use this Contact Form and choose the option ‘regeling onverzekerden’. CAK will then close your file and you can continue with your international health insurance (AON ICS).

4) If the outcome of the Wlz assessment states that you are to be insured with a Dutch public health insurance, do so immediately within the time frame given by the CAK. 

Additional Notes: 

a)  You can find more information on how to take out the Dutch public health insurance from here: https://www.studyinholland.nl/plan-your-stay/insurance

b)   After you've taken the Dutch basic/public health insurance, inform Wittenborg’s Registrar Department about your new  insurance by completing this webform, so that they can cancel your current AON insurance and reimburse you with any unused amount, if available. More details about this can be found from this FAQ: https://www.wittenborg-online.com/mod/glossary/showentry.php?eid=539.

c) If you have a low income, you can apply for Dutch healthcare allowance (or benefits) called zorgtoeslag. Click on the links below to find out more about this benefit;

Healthcare Allowance

Dutch Healthcare Benefit


Insurance: If I have arranged a Dutch basic health insurance for myself, how do I cancel the current AON insurance arranged by Wittenborg?

(Last edited: Wednesday, 19 August 2020, 2:45 PM)

If your current AON insurance has been arranged by Wittenborg and you have now arranged insurance by yourself, we can cancel the AON insurance for you upon your request. This request will only be taken into consideration if you can provide proof that your new insurance has already started. Please fill in this webform, so that our Registrar Department can cancel your current AON insurance. The results of this form are processed every Monday and Thursday of the week. You will receive a confirmation of cancellation of your insurance by email. If you inform us of the cancellation of your insurance before the expiry date, you might be entitled to a refund based on the time remaining before the expiry. You can download the refund form (interactive Word Document) attached below to this FAQ, complete it, and upload it along with your new insurance certificate in the webform.


Internship/Work Placement: Where can I find Work Placement Supervisor evaluation form?

(Last edited: Tuesday, 25 August 2020, 7:03 AM)

You can find the Supervisor Evaluation Form HERE. It is student's responsibility to make sure that his/her supervisor fill in the form at the end of the internship/work placement. The Supervisor Evaluation Form must be attached together with your Work Evaluation Report.


Module Enrolment Key: What is the Module Enrolment Key and where can I find it?

(Last edited: Wednesday, 2 September 2020, 5:26 PM)

Each module that you take has an online area on the Moodle where the lecturers share the presentations, assignments and all other related contents. In order to have access to this module online area, you need to enrol or register yourself. To enrol in each module, you need the enrolment key. Take note that each module has its own unique enrolment key. Please refer to the attached PDF document on how to find the enrolment keys of the various modules and how to enrol/register in the respective modules.

Take note of the following:

1) Please do not enrol in a module that you are not planning to attend. If you have accidentally enrolled yourself in the wrong module, you can unenroll by clicking the 'gear' button at the top right hand corner of the page and click 'unenroll me'. Or find the 'Administration' section on the right side of the page and click 'unenrol' me. 

2) You will be unenrolled if you are not active within the module area for a period of 3 weeks.

3) Languages, Project Weeks and PDPs modules, can be found under University Wide Modules instead of the specific Programme Modules.

4) Foundation and Pre-Master courses can be found under Preparation Modules.


MVV: I am a US citizen. Do I need to obtain an MVV visa in advance or am I exempted from it?

(Last edited: Wednesday, 5 August 2020, 1:24 PM)

You are exempted from the requirement of an MVV visa along with the citizens of the following countries: Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Japan, Monaco, Vatican City, or South Korea. This means that you can enter the Netherlands with just your passport.

However, you are still required to have a study residence permit to study in the Netherlands. Once you arrive in the Netherlands, you will be informed on when you can collect your study residence permit from the IND desk.

Please note that as a general rule, your passport should have at least six months of validity when travelling internationally.


MVV: What is MVV (Regular Provisional Residence Permit)

(Last edited: Wednesday, 5 August 2020, 12:13 PM)

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit (Dutch ID card for non Dutch residence). But before you can travel to the Netherlands, you will have to apply for a long-stay visa. This visa is called an authorisation for temporary stay (or the MVV).

The MVV is a special entrance visa. Your nationality defines whether you have to apply for an MVV or not. For some nationalities and in some situations, an exemption applies and you do not need an MVV.

If you want to apply for an MVV, you need a purpose of stay in the Netherlands. This could be stay with a family member, study or work. Each purpose of stay has specific requirements you have to meet. There are also a number of general conditions that apply to everyone, regardless of the purpose of the stay.

Usually it is the sponsor in the Netherlands who applies for the MVV. The sponsor is the person you are going to stay with in the Netherlands (example spouse) or the organisation that arranges your stay (e.g. a university or employer). The sponsor applies for the MVV at the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) which is basically the Dutch Immigration Authorities.

For non-EU students, your MVV and residence permit will be applied by the university on your behalf. Once it is approved, you will receive a letter from the university informing you to make an appointment at the Dutch embassy in your country to have your passport stamped with the MVV visa sticker. Once the visa is stamped in your passport, you can travel to the Netherlands. Once you arrive in the Netherlands, the IND will inform the university when your residence permit can be collected. This residence permit is a study residence permit with an expiry date.

For more information on the MVV and the conditions that apply, please visit the IND website at https://ind.nl/en/Pages/mvv.aspx.

Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  13  (Next)