FAQ Studying @ Wittenborg

All categories

Page: (Previous)   1  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  21  (Next)



Attendance: How do I know if module attendance is compulsory?

(Last edited: Wednesday, 20 October 2021, 7:20 PM)

Due to the current situation, attendance requirement for students will NOT be re-introduced. However, there will be in-class participation credits which will make up to 10% of the final exam marks. More details on participation activities can be found in the individual module online area.


Bank Accounts: What is an IBAN?

(Last edited: Tuesday, 8 September 2020, 10:51 PM)

IBAN stands for International Bank Account Number and is a number attached to all accounts in the EU countries. It is made up of a unique code that identifies the country in which the account is opened, the account holder's bank and the account number. The IBAN helps to make the process of cross-border payments easier and faster. The bank assigns an IBAN to your account. You need to use the IBAN when sending interbank transfers or wiring money from one bank account to another, especially across international borders.

The structure of the IBAN is as follows: The country code NL / 2-digit control number / 4 letters that identify the bank / 10 digits, which consist of the current account number supplemented with zeros.

Example of a Dutch IBAN:  NL73 INGB 123 456 78 00


Bank Statement: what are the requirements?

(Last edited: Wednesday, 12 January 2022, 8:50 AM)

What are bank statement requirements if:
- I am a new student applying for a visa; 
- I am a new student who transferred from another type of EU-Residence Permit (RP) (e.g. transfer from other EU countries to the Netherlands, from another university within the Netherlands, from a zoekjaar RP to a student RP, etc.) 

A signed and stamped bank statement on headed paper with a minimum amount of EUR 11,500,00 (must be dated after we inform you that we have received your payment) is required. For visa reasons, you will need to make sure that the deposit is free from restrictions or conditions; therefore, a statement such as “the account owner can withdraw the full amount in this bank account at any time” should be included in this letter. If the account type is either savings or current, then the above said clause should not be mentioned in the bank statement.The account will be in your or in your sponsor’s name. If the latter, here is the extra required information and documents: 

  • If the bank statement is from a private sponsor, please completely fill the Appendix Financial Statement of Support_Private Person Form.

  • If the bank statement is from a company sponsor, please completely fill the Appendix Financial Statement of Support_Company Form.

For the company sponsor, we need proof that the sponsor is authorised to grant the amount to the student - the proof can be obtained from the bank itself/local Chamber of Commerce (1.17). 

For Dutch sponsors also, these documents should be filled out respectively, along with the other required documents. Please check this site for more information: https://ind.nl/en/pages/sufficient-means-of-support-as-a-student.aspx. 

Kindly note that the balance outstanding payment always must be added on top of the bank statement required amount. Additionally, a Payment Plan is also should be made for that balance outstanding payment with the Finance/Registry Department before issuing a bank statement.

What are bank statement requirements if: 

- I am a current student requesting the RP extension. 

Please provide us with a copy of your or your sponsor's bank statement, which shows you have, or your sponsor has enough money to support your education. The balance must show in your or your sponsor's bank account at least (no. of months X EUR 933) = EUR XXX.Your bank statement must be dated at least one day after your last payment to us. (How to know how many months are needed? Count from the RP expiry date till the last day of your expected graduation block. Please always round it up to full months. General Year Planning is available https://www.wittenborg.eu/downloads.htm.) 

Please only send the bank statement without any transactions if it is from any of the Dutch banks. If your bank statement is from bank outside the Netherlands, your bank statement should be signed & stamped by the bank. Additionally, if you are going to show a bank statement from your home country, the account type must be explicitly mentioned in the bank statement. Furthermore, as per the IND rule about bank statements, if the account of the bank statement does not belong to either a savings or current account, then a declaration such as“the account owner can withdraw the full amount in this bank account at any time”should be included in the bank statement. You can also obtain a separate letter from the bank mentioning that this account is either savings or current, and if not, the above-mentioned declaration must be in the bank statement. The account should be in your or your sponsor’s name. If the latter, here is the extra required information and documents: 

  • If the bank statement is from a private sponsor, please completely fill in the Appendix Financial Statement of Support_Private Person Form

  • If the bank statement is from a company sponsor, please completely fill in the Appendix Financial Statement of Support_Company Form 

Kindly note that the balance outstanding payment always must be added on top of the bank statement required amount. Additionally, a Payment Plan is also should be made for that balance outstanding payment with the Finance/Registry Department before issuing a bank statement.


Before Arrival: What should I pack before travelling to the Netherlands?

(Last edited: Tuesday, 8 September 2020, 10:54 PM)


Students should bring the following documents in hand luggage:

  • Valid passport (with a valid visa for non-EU/EEA students)
  • Medical records and vaccination reports (if relevant)
  • Wittenborg Admission Letter
  • Original birth certificate in English or with a certified legalised English translation
  • Passport-type photos


The Netherlands is a country with a pleasant, temperate maritime climate. Daytime temperatures vary from 3°C-37°F in the winter and 19°C-66°F in the summer. As a result, you will need to pack an assortment of clothes, such as:

  • Winter coat and winter accessories, like gloves, scarf, warm headgear
  • Summer clothes
  • Waterproof jacket and shoes (+ umbrella)
  • Business attire for formal occasions, company meetings, presentations, and events


Please bring enough money in cash to cover the first weeks’ expenses, since it may take a few weeks to open a bank account. Foreign currency can be changed to Euro at Grenswisselkantoren. For information and locations, visit https://www.gwktravelex.nl/en.

Electrical equipment

  • Computer/laptop/tablet + charger
  • Mobile phone + charger
  • Power adapter if needed. The Netherlands uses Type C&F Euro electricity outlets with 230 V with 50 HZ frequency. Some appliances do not need a converter. If the label states 'INPUT: 100-240V, 50/60 Hz' the appliance can be used in all countries in the world and is standard for chargers of tablets/laptops and phones


BSN (Social Security Number): Why do I need a BSN? What are the steps for registering for my BSN at the municipality?

(Last edited: Tuesday, 21 September 2021, 3:54 PM)


The “Burgerservicenummer” (BSN) is a unique personal number that enables reliable and efficient data exchange between residents, the government and various other organizations. In the Netherlands, you need the BSN for opening a bank account, visiting a doctor, getting health insurance, receiving your salary (if you are working part-time while studying), applying for tax benefits and many other administrative processes.

The requirements and process:

Whether you are a Dutch citizen or an international, everyone living in the Netherlands is required to be registered at their home address. You need to register (inschrijven) at the town hall in the municipality (gemeente) where you are living. 

To register your address and get a BSN from the gemeente, you need to make an appointment. 

If you live in Apeldoorn: the University Front Desk will make the appointment with the Gemeente (City Hall) on your behalf. For the appointment, students should bring the following documents:

  • Residence permit
  • Passport (original copy)
  • Birth Certificate (with legalised translation in Dutch or English) (if applicable)
  • Accommodation contract

If you live in Amsterdam: 

If you live in other areas, check the website of your City Hall for the procedure. 

The process of registration will take between 20 to 30 minutes. Once you are registered at the municipality, you will receive a document which states your particulars and your BSN. An official welcome letter will be mailed to you at your home address.

Take note that you cannot open a bank account unless you have your BSN. So ensure that you have sufficient cash with you when you arrive.


Changing the location to collect the Residence Permit: Can I change my appointment to collect my Residence Permit to a different city?

(Last edited: Tuesday, 5 October 2021, 4:30 PM)

We highly recommend the students to pick up the residence permit from the IND office as scheduled because changing the location  takes long time and often not accepted by IND. Even accepted, this change might delay the completion of your registration at time.


Charging Equipments: How can I charge my laptop or mobile phone once I arrive in the Netherlands?

(Last edited: Friday, 14 August 2020, 12:43 PM)

Travel with a mobile phone, tablet or laptop can be difficult without the right adapter. Make sure you bring a European adapter from home, or buy one at any of the local shops once you arrive in the Netherlands. In the Netherlands (Holland) the power plugs and sockets are of type C and F. The standard voltage is 230 V and the standard frequency is 50 Hz.

Please visit https://www.power-plugs-sockets.com/netherlands-holland/ for more details on using the right power adapter in the Netherlands.


Class Cancellations/Changes Notifications: How can I receive notifications about any cancellations/changes in my classes?

(Last edited: Monday, 31 August 2020, 4:48 PM)

You will be notified of any changes in your classes if you activate the notification setting in your time table. Activating the notifications in your timetable will enable you to keep track of changes in the room and time or cancellation of your classes. You will receive a notification via your student email account. 

To activate the notification, follow the steps below:

At your Timetable page,

  • Click the Profile icon on the left side. Mobile users will need to open this column by clicking on the top left icon on the screen and click My Profile in the column.
  • Deselect the 'I don’t want to receive notifications' button and enter an email address for notifications. Now you will receive a notification every time there is a room change, cancellation of a lecture, or rescheduling of classes!


Cost of Living: What is the cost of living in Apeldoorn?

(Last edited: Tuesday, 16 June 2020, 5:51 PM)

Students in Apeldoorn can enjoy a very reasonable cost of living. The cost of living in Apeldoorn in the Netherlands is approximately 800 - 900 Euro per month according to the reputable institute NIBUD.nl.

These main costs include:

  • Accommodation
  • Food
  • Transport

Tuition fees do not form part of living costs.

Apeldoorn versus Amsterdam

Experience has shown that students living and studying in Apeldoorn spend approximately €800 a month; however, in Amsterdam this can be up to €1,000 a month. This amount is needed to cover daily expenses, meals, accommodation costs, insurance, study books, etc. This estimate does not include tuition fees and unforeseen costs and should be used as a general indication of the costs of living. How much money you will actually need depends on your lifestyle. The costs for housing, for example, may differ considerably. Also, if you plan to travel during your stay, you will obviously need more money.


COVID-19 Matters: Where can I find the updated information regarding Wittenborg’s policy on COVID-19?

(Last edited: Sunday, 19 December 2021, 12:33 AM)

You can follow our up-to-date news by clicking on the following link: 

COVID-19 FAQ (wittenborg.eu)


Curriculum Plan and Timeline: I have applied for the final year phase 3 in HBA. How can I know the details about my internship period, my work permit as well as the complete curriculum plan?

(Last edited: Tuesday, 16 June 2020, 6:04 PM)

You can access and go through all the details including curriculum plan and timeline in the HBA EEG Part 3.


You can access the EEG in the online area after signing in with your student account.


Dentist: How can I make an appointment to visit the Dentist?

(Last edited: Wednesday, 31 March 2021, 11:42 AM)

You can visit www.dentalclinics.nl and register yourself. Once you have registered on their website, you will receive a confirmation email and then you can mention your preferred dates for making an appointment with the dentist.


DigiD: What is a DigiD and how do I get one?

(Last edited: Wednesday, 17 June 2020, 3:54 PM)

DigiD (short for Digital Identification) is a form of online ID that allows you to access many services and government websites in the Netherlands. It is like a digital version of your passport. The DigiD consists of a username and password that are linked to your personal public service number (BSN). You need your DigiD to do your administration online in the Netherlands. This includes doing your taxes, applying for benefits and allowances, and many other necessary transactions.

How to apply for a DigiD?

You can apply for the DigiD for free on the DigiD website https://www.digid.nl/en/. You need to have your BSN. After filling in the application, you will receive an SMS code on your mobile phone. This is to verify your mobile number. Then you will receive another code via email. This is to verify your email address. Finally, you will receive a letter by post with the final activation code. This is to verify your registered home address and also to ensure security of your final activation code. Use the code to activate your DigiD within 20 days. Activate your DigiD via the DigiD activation webpage https://digid.nl/en/inloggen.

Remember that your DigiD grants access to many aspects of your life online, so you should take care to keep it secret and also not to lose it. If you forget your DigiD username or password, you can visit the DigiD contact page for help https://www.digid.nl/en/contact/


Drinking Water: Is tap water in the Netherlands safe to drink?

(Last edited: Monday, 29 June 2020, 9:57 AM)

Yes, tap water in the whole of the Netherlands is safe to drink. Not only will you save money by not buying bottled water, but you can also help towards keeping the environment clean by reducing plastic waste.


Education Department- How can I contact the education department?

(Last edited: Thursday, 18 June 2020, 8:58 AM)

While the Education Department office is open daily for short questions, for consultations please make an appointment by email to education@wittenborg.eu and you will receive a confirmation within 3 working days.

Contacting Lecturers

All lecturers can be contacted through their Wittenborg email generally by putting their firstnames.lastname@wittenborg.eu


EEG: Whom can I contact for clarifying doubts on the EEG?

(Last edited: Monday, 13 July 2020, 10:15 AM)

If students have questions about a section in the EEG, they can contact their process tutor to guide them. Process tutors will be allocated by Wittenborg and during the Introduction Week, students will be informed on how to contact their process tutor, to make an appointment.

Before students arrive at Wittenborg, we recommend reading a few sections of the EEG to get an impression of the education system at our university. The following sections are recommended:

  • Part 2: Education Guide
  • Part 3: Programme curriculum- Specialisation-related curriculum
  • Part 4: Practical information guide- Grading system in the Netherlands, Attendance & exams – important notice


Emergency Contact: Where can I find important telephone numbers in case of emergencies?

(Last edited: Tuesday, 6 April 2021, 8:39 AM)

You can find basic information about living in the Netherlands from Wittenborg-online, on your Dashboard under the title ‘Information for International Students in the Netherlands or through this link: https://www.wittenborg-online.com/enrol/index.php?id=1183

All information pertaining to your living in the Netherlands, from the time before your arrival to after you graduate can be found here. If you are staying at Wittenborg’s accommodation, the student housing information booklet placed inside your room and in the common area contains emergency numbers in case of urgent needs. This information can be found in the first page and contains numbers of Wittenborg Housing Department, Police, Fire Brigade and Hospital.

Generally, the Dutch emergency number for police, fire department and ambulance is 112. The Call Centre respondent will respond to the call and ask who you are, where the emergency takes place and what the emergency is. They will then send the right forces (police, ambulance or fire service) to the scene.

Note: Only call these numbers if the matter cannot wait another minute with the issue. The Netherlands has a strict policy on emergency numbers. It is considered a crime to unnecessarily call 112. They will charge the person who calls the emergency number for nothing.

If someone needs the police for something else than an urgent crime, they can be reached at 0900-8844. For minor issues destined to be solved by the fire department, the phone number of the Apeldoorn fire department is 055-548 3555. 

In case of health issues, if one is not in immediate life danger, do not call 112. Call the Family doctor’s office by dialling 0555333288 and press 1 for emergency. They will tell you what to do next. If someone has a major health issue out of office hours, they can call the Apeldoorn Huisartsenpost. The telephone number is 0900 - 600 9000. They will give you instructions on what to do next.

 Note: Do not go to the emergency room/hospital without calling the Huisartsenpost first. This will not be covered by the insurance and it will take a lot of time before they can help.


Facebook: I wish to join the Wittenborg Facebook page. What should I do?

(Last edited: Monday, 20 December 2021, 5:14 PM)

We would like to offer our students the opportunity to meet fellow students and staff in an informal way, even before arrival. This is why we suggest joining Wittenborg on Facebook.

Login or create a Facebook account: www.facebook.com. Search 'Wittenborg Students & Staff' on the Facebook website or app. Click 'Join us'. 

After approval, students can receive the latest information on their personal accounts. If you have sent a request to 'Wittenborg Students & Staff' on Facebook and have not received any feedback (approval) for too long (more than 1 week), then you can send an email to frontdesk@wittenborg.eu. 


Family Visa: How can I apply for a family visa?

(Last edited: Wednesday, 9 February 2022, 4:10 PM)

Unfortunately Wittenborg does not provide assistance in this procedure. Additionally, student housing is accorded only to students who are fully registered at Wittenborg.

Students who wish to bring along their family members can apply for a dependent visa at the IND (Immigratie en Naturalisatiedienst). More information about the conditions and requirements for this visa can be obtained via the IND website at Family | Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).


Flight Cancelled: My flight to the Netherlands is cancelled/postponed due to COVID-19. What do I need to do?

(Last edited: Monday, 20 April 2020, 5:28 PM)

In such a situation, please call the Wittenborg University of Applied Sciences telephone number +31886672688 (weekends: +31613723608) to inform Wittenborg's staff members so that they can take the necessary action. After your call please also send a short e-mail to this address: registrar@wittenborg.eu, mentioning your student number and explaining your situation.  

Please follow the same procedure if you face any difficulties that prevent you from travelling to the airport of your departure point that is caused by airport authorities or airline company staff. 

Page: (Previous)   1  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  21  (Next)