FAQ Studying @ Wittenborg

Browse the glossary using this index

Special | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z |



Office Hours in Corona Crises: Are Admissions Officers at Wittenborg still working despite its closure of two of its campuses?

(Last edited: Friday, 24 April 2020, 3:08 PM)

Yes. Wittenborg's Amsterdam location, and the Spoorstraat location in Apeldoorn are closed. However, the main Wittenborg Aventus campus in Apeldoorn is still open from 07:30-16:00 daily. Wittenborg's Admissions Team is continuously processing applications as they normally do. If you would like to submit your application, you have a question, or you would like to have a chat via phone, our Admissions Team will be happy to assist you.   


Online Lectures: How to attend online lectures during the Block?

(Last edited: Friday, 9 October 2020, 3:21 PM)

The online lectures are done in MS Teams. Once the session is started by your teacher at the scheduled time, you should be able to see a Join Tab in the relevant course team chat area. You can join the session by clicking on this Join Tab.


Online Presentation: I am invited for an online presentation but I get an error message everytime I click to join the online meeting.

(Last edited: Thursday, 19 November 2020, 10:08 AM)

When you receive an outlook invitation you might receive the following message:

  “A custom mail flow rule created by an admin at wittenborg.eu has blocked your message.”

Any time you receive an invitation in Microsoft Outlook or 365 and accept it, the invitation will be visible from then on in your calendar. Therefore, even if you close the window that pops up while you have accepted the invitation, you can always go to your Outlook calendar and join the communication channel again.


If the problem persists you may contact Helpdesk for further assistance.


Open Day: Can I attend a Wittenborg Open Day or visit the campus?

(Last edited: Friday, 18 September 2020, 2:09 PM)

Currently, all on-campus events including open days and campus tours have been cancelled due to Covid-19 restrictions. However, we are very pleased to inform you that Wittenborg hosts regular Virtual Open Days with Admissions Officers & current students. Our Virtual Open Day dates can be found here: https://www.wittenborg.eu/wittenborg-open-day-online.htm


Open Days- Can I still attend open day events at the university?

(Last edited: Friday, 17 April 2020, 1:17 PM)

Currently, all on-campus events including open days and campus tours have been cancelled. However, we are very pleased to inform you that Wittenborg will host its very first Virtual Open Day on 29th of April. 


Oral Defence for Graduation Assignment: How can I hold my graduation defence presentation online?

(Last edited: Monday, 28 June 2021, 11:36 AM)


The Graduation Assignment (GA) Oral Defence will be conducted approximately 2 weeks after you submitted your GA assignment via Turnitin. These two weeks are for your Academic Supervisor and an External Marker to mark your assignment. If you receive an initial pass by both your Academic Supervisor and External Marker, you will receive an email regarding your Oral Defence. In the email, you can find details about the Oral Defence such as:
1) the day, date and time of your Oral Defence
2) the deadline to upload your presentation (PowerPoint, Prezi etc.) on the online submission area
3) when you should send a copy of your presentation to your Academic Supervisor
4) the link to the Oral Defence Meeting at MS Teams
5) any other relevant information/instruction
You are advised to try clicking on the link to ensure that you will be able to access the meeting and to see whether your microphone works. If you do not have MS Teams, you can download the app on your laptop or iPad or mobile phone. If you face any problems, please contact Front Desk as early as possible.


Orientation Year: Can I use my orientation year after 2 years of finishing education?

(Last edited: Thursday, 4 June 2020, 12:57 PM)

Yes, you can still apply for the orientation year within 3 years after finishing your education. 


Orientation Year: Can I use my orientation year/search year residence permit to work outside the Netherlands?

(Last edited: Wednesday, 15 July 2020, 5:12 PM)

No, you can only use your orientation year residence permit to work in the Netherlands.

The Dutch residence permit for the orientation year (oriëntatiejaar or zoekjaar - search year) does not give you the right to work in other countries, even in the Schengen area. If you want to work in another (Schengen member) state, you will have to apply for a residence permit and/or a work permit in that state. Take note that your stay in other Schengen member states is limited to a maximum of 90 days within a period of 180 days. If you intend to stay in another Schengen member state longer, you must comply with the immigration regulations of that country. Take note also that if you do not have and keep your main residence in the Netherlands during the orientation year, your residence permit can be revoked. Having main residence in the Netherlands is a key requirement to retain a Dutch residence permit.


Orientation Year: I am graduating soon. How can I apply for a search year (zoekjaar) visa?

(Last edited: Tuesday, 8 June 2021, 10:59 AM)

If you have successfully completed your studies and like to stay in the Netherlands to find a job or start up your own company, you have to apply for the search year (Zoekjaar) visa. Once you have passed your Graduation Assignment (GA) Oral Defence, Wittenborg University of Applied Sciences (WUAS) will start your de-registration process and inform the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) as we are legally bound to do so within 4 weeks from the Oral Defence day.  The procedure to withdraw the permit will be commenced by IND accordingly.  

During this 4-week period, WUAS will prepare and sign your 'Declaration of Study Completion'. You will require this document to apply for your Zoekjaar on the IND site (Alternatively, you can use the copy of your Graduation Diploma if you have received it.)  If you would like this Declaration, please fill out Declaration of Study Completion Form and we will send you this document by e-mail within two weeks after your presentation.  

IND grants the graduates three months to apply for Zoekjaar after graduation date ( i.e. Oral Defence date for WUAS students). If the Zoekjaar Application is not received by the IND within three months, then you will face a residence gap.  

Two exceptions should be considered in this regard to avoid the residence gap: 

  1. Please make sure your study residence permit valid is within those 3 months. If not, please apply for a Zoekjaar before your current residence permit expires.  

  1. If you want to work more than 16 hours soon after you graduate then you must change your visa type to Zoekjaar as soon as possible. 

More information and the application procedures can be found at:  

FAQ about the topic on IND’s website can be found at https://ind.nl/en/Documents/FAQ_orientation_year_highly_educated_persons.pdf  


OV-Chipcard (OV-Chipkaart): What is an OV-chipcard and how can I use it in the Netherlands?

(Last edited: Monday, 22 June 2020, 4:00 PM)

In the Netherlands, the easiest way to take the bus, train, subway, or tramway is to use an OV-Chipcard (PT Smart Card). The costs for the OV-Chipkaart itself is €7,50 and can be bought at https://www.ov-chipkaart.nl/purchase-an-ov-chipkaart.htm or at the local NS-service points. There are two different OV cards.

  • The first is a personalised OV-chipcard, which allows for putting a photo on it and season tickets can be loaded here.
  • The second option is an anonymous card, not registered to a name. The company will not be able to know who is traveling with this card.

Note: Season tickets can only be loaded on the personalised card.

Further details on 'How to use the OV-chipcard' can be accessed via: https://www.wittenborg-online.com/mod/glossary/showentry.php?eid=221.


Ov-Chipkaart Lost: I have lost my OV-Chipkaart. Who should I contact?

(Last edited: Monday, 22 June 2020, 4:02 PM)

If you have lost your OV-Chipkaart or if it is defective, then you will have to cancel the travel product via the OV-Chipkaart Customer Service Department. Contact them by dialling 0900-0980 (normal call charges apply).