Browse the glossary using this index

Special | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z |



Bank Account: How to open a private Dutch bank account?

(Last edited: Friday, 26 August 2022, 9:11 PM)

Before you go to open your bank account, you need to choose which bank suits your needs or principles. You should also take into account that most banks charge a yearly fee for having an account with them.

Biggest banks in the Netherlands

To open a private bank account in the Netherlands you will need to either make an appointment online, or simply walk into your nearest branch with all of your details.

To open a bank account in the Netherlands you will need the following:

  • Your BSN number (Burgerservicenummer)
  • A valid form of ID (passport or identity card - often a drivers licence is not acceptable)
  • Proof of address (i.e. a rental contract)
  • Residency permit if you come from outside of the EU


Bank Accounts: What is an IBAN?

(Last edited: Tuesday, 8 September 2020, 10:51 PM)

IBAN stands for International Bank Account Number and is a number attached to all accounts in the EU countries. It is made up of a unique code that identifies the country in which the account is opened, the account holder's bank and the account number. The IBAN helps to make the process of cross-border payments easier and faster. The bank assigns an IBAN to your account. You need to use the IBAN when sending interbank transfers or wiring money from one bank account to another, especially across international borders.

The structure of the IBAN is as follows: The country code NL / 2-digit control number / 4 letters that identify the bank / 10 digits, which consist of the current account number supplemented with zeros.

Example of a Dutch IBAN:  NL73 INGB 123 456 78 00


Bank Statement: what are the requirements?

(Last edited: Wednesday, 12 January 2022, 8:50 AM)

What are bank statement requirements if:
- I am a new student applying for a visa; 
- I am a new student who transferred from another type of EU-Residence Permit (RP) (e.g. transfer from other EU countries to the Netherlands, from another university within the Netherlands, from a zoekjaar RP to a student RP, etc.) 

A signed and stamped bank statement on headed paper with a minimum amount of EUR 11,500,00 (must be dated after we inform you that we have received your payment) is required. For visa reasons, you will need to make sure that the deposit is free from restrictions or conditions; therefore, a statement such as “the account owner can withdraw the full amount in this bank account at any time” should be included in this letter. If the account type is either savings or current, then the above said clause should not be mentioned in the bank statement.The account will be in your or in your sponsor’s name. If the latter, here is the extra required information and documents: 

  • If the bank statement is from a private sponsor, please completely fill the Appendix Financial Statement of Support_Private Person Form.

  • If the bank statement is from a company sponsor, please completely fill the Appendix Financial Statement of Support_Company Form.

For the company sponsor, we need proof that the sponsor is authorised to grant the amount to the student - the proof can be obtained from the bank itself/local Chamber of Commerce (1.17). 

For Dutch sponsors also, these documents should be filled out respectively, along with the other required documents. Please check this site for more information: 

Kindly note that the balance outstanding payment always must be added on top of the bank statement required amount. Additionally, a Payment Plan is also should be made for that balance outstanding payment with the Finance/Registry Department before issuing a bank statement.

What are bank statement requirements if: 

- I am a current student requesting the RP extension. 

Please provide us with a copy of your or your sponsor's bank statement, which shows you have, or your sponsor has enough money to support your education. The balance must show in your or your sponsor's bank account at least (no. of months X EUR 933) = EUR XXX.Your bank statement must be dated at least one day after your last payment to us. (How to know how many months are needed? Count from the RP expiry date till the last day of your expected graduation block. Please always round it up to full months. General Year Planning is available 

Please only send the bank statement without any transactions if it is from any of the Dutch banks. If your bank statement is from bank outside the Netherlands, your bank statement should be signed & stamped by the bank. Additionally, if you are going to show a bank statement from your home country, the account type must be explicitly mentioned in the bank statement. Furthermore, as per the IND rule about bank statements, if the account of the bank statement does not belong to either a savings or current account, then a declaration such as“the account owner can withdraw the full amount in this bank account at any time”should be included in the bank statement. You can also obtain a separate letter from the bank mentioning that this account is either savings or current, and if not, the above-mentioned declaration must be in the bank statement. The account should be in your or your sponsor’s name. If the latter, here is the extra required information and documents: 

  • If the bank statement is from a private sponsor, please completely fill in the Appendix Financial Statement of Support_Private Person Form

  • If the bank statement is from a company sponsor, please completely fill in the Appendix Financial Statement of Support_Company Form 

Kindly note that the balance outstanding payment always must be added on top of the bank statement required amount. Additionally, a Payment Plan is also should be made for that balance outstanding payment with the Finance/Registry Department before issuing a bank statement.


Before Arrival: What should I pack before travelling to the Netherlands?

(Last edited: Tuesday, 8 September 2020, 10:54 PM)


Students should bring the following documents in hand luggage:

  • Valid passport (with a valid visa for non-EU/EEA students)
  • Medical records and vaccination reports (if relevant)
  • Wittenborg Admission Letter
  • Original birth certificate in English or with a certified legalised English translation
  • Passport-type photos


The Netherlands is a country with a pleasant, temperate maritime climate. Daytime temperatures vary from 3°C-37°F in the winter and 19°C-66°F in the summer. As a result, you will need to pack an assortment of clothes, such as:

  • Winter coat and winter accessories, like gloves, scarf, warm headgear
  • Summer clothes
  • Waterproof jacket and shoes (+ umbrella)
  • Business attire for formal occasions, company meetings, presentations, and events


Please bring enough money in cash to cover the first weeks’ expenses, since it may take a few weeks to open a bank account. Foreign currency can be changed to Euro at Grenswisselkantoren. For information and locations, visit

Electrical equipment

  • Computer/laptop/tablet + charger
  • Mobile phone + charger
  • Power adapter if needed. The Netherlands uses Type C&F Euro electricity outlets with 230 V with 50 HZ frequency. Some appliances do not need a converter. If the label states 'INPUT: 100-240V, 50/60 Hz' the appliance can be used in all countries in the world and is standard for chargers of tablets/laptops and phones


Booking Appointments: How to book an appointment at Wittenborg?

(Last edited: Monday, 24 January 2022, 1:20 PM)


If you wish to speak to any of the Wittenborg staff, please invite them for an appointment using the Outlook Calendar. You can find the email addresses of all staff in your Outlook address book.

If you want to make an appointment with your process tutor, you need to fill in the form provided to you in your process tutor area.

In the attached document you will find a detailed guide.

Please note that the meetings with your process tutor are only online and will be held on MS Teams. 

Source: Course: Student Resources - General Information for all Students |STU001| (


BSN (Social Security Number): Why do I need a BSN? What are the steps for registering for my BSN at the municipality?

(Last edited: Tuesday, 21 September 2021, 3:54 PM)


The “Burgerservicenummer” (BSN) is a unique personal number that enables reliable and efficient data exchange between residents, the government and various other organizations. In the Netherlands, you need the BSN for opening a bank account, visiting a doctor, getting health insurance, receiving your salary (if you are working part-time while studying), applying for tax benefits and many other administrative processes.

The requirements and process:

Whether you are a Dutch citizen or an international, everyone living in the Netherlands is required to be registered at their home address. You need to register (inschrijven) at the town hall in the municipality (gemeente) where you are living. 

To register your address and get a BSN from the gemeente, you need to make an appointment. 

If you live in Apeldoorn: the University Front Desk will make the appointment with the Gemeente (City Hall) on your behalf. For the appointment, students should bring the following documents:

  • Residence permit
  • Passport (original copy)
  • Birth Certificate (with legalised translation in Dutch or English) (if applicable)
  • Accommodation contract

If you live in Amsterdam: 

If you live in other areas, check the website of your City Hall for the procedure. 

The process of registration will take between 20 to 30 minutes. Once you are registered at the municipality, you will receive a document which states your particulars and your BSN. An official welcome letter will be mailed to you at your home address.

Take note that you cannot open a bank account unless you have your BSN. So ensure that you have sufficient cash with you when you arrive.