FAQ Studying @ Wittenborg

Browse the glossary using this index

Special | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | ALL

Deregistration: What steps should I follow to deregister from the city hall?

(Last edited: Friday, 22 May 2020, 2:34 AM)

Before you leave the Netherlands, make sure you deregister from the Municipality in the Dutch city or town of your residence. Once you deregister, the Municipality will remove your personal details from the Municipal Personal Records Database. It will also automatically inform other government authorities of your departure. Normally you can deregister online or by post. However, do check the website of your Municipality on how or when you can deregister, or you can call them to enquire. When you deregister, it is a good idea to ask for a copy of the deregistration document as a written proof.

Besides deregistering at the Municipality, these are the things that you need to do before leaving the country.

  • Fill in a Wittenborg clearance form (if you have not done so) which can be picked up/printed at Wittenborg’s FrontDesk. This will help you to get your deposit back.
  • Return your residence permit to the IND. You can either return your residence permit to the IND by post or at Schiphol airport. It is advisable to keep a photocopy of both the front and back of your residence permit for future reference.
  • Cancel your Dutch bank account if needed.
  • Cancel your TV/Internet/Mobile subscription
  • Cancel your season card for the OV-chipkaart (if applicable)
  • Cancel your insurance (AON will stop automatically 2 weeks after your Graduation Assignment Oral Defence)
  • Forward your post

Note: It is important to do all these practicalities to avoid being charged for any future bills, tax or insurance, as these organizations would not know that you have left the country.