Skip to main content

What is Basisregistratie Personen (BRP)?

(Last edited: Tuesday, 1 March 2022, 9:13 AM)

If you have moved to the Netherlands and intend to live here for more than 4 months, you must register yourself in the Basisregistratie Personen – BRP (Personal Records Database). You can do this by visiting the City Hall of your municipality. 

Similarly, if you move to another municipality in the Netherlands, you must notify the new municipality of your change of address.

Once you register in the BRP, you will receive your BSN.

Failing to do these might result in withdrawal of study visa by the Dutch Immigration Office (IND). In such a case you will be required to leave the country and apply for a new MVV (entry visa) from your home country to continue with your studies. Eventually, it will cost you time and money.

Important note: You must inform Registry Office ( whenever you change your address within the Netherlands. The same applies when you are planning to deregister from the City Hall and leave the country for a temporary period of time or permanently.

» FAQ Studying @ Wittenborg