MVV: What is MVV (Regular Provisional Residence Permit)

(Last edited: Wednesday, 5 August 2020, 12:13 PM)

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit (Dutch ID card for non Dutch residence). But before you can travel to the Netherlands, you will have to apply for a long-stay visa. This visa is called an authorisation for temporary stay (or the MVV).

The MVV is a special entrance visa. Your nationality defines whether you have to apply for an MVV or not. For some nationalities and in some situations, an exemption applies and you do not need an MVV.

If you want to apply for an MVV, you need a purpose of stay in the Netherlands. This could be stay with a family member, study or work. Each purpose of stay has specific requirements you have to meet. There are also a number of general conditions that apply to everyone, regardless of the purpose of the stay.

Usually it is the sponsor in the Netherlands who applies for the MVV. The sponsor is the person you are going to stay with in the Netherlands (example spouse) or the organisation that arranges your stay (e.g. a university or employer). The sponsor applies for the MVV at the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) which is basically the Dutch Immigration Authorities.

For non-EU students, your MVV and residence permit will be applied by the university on your behalf. Once it is approved, you will receive a letter from the university informing you to make an appointment at the Dutch embassy in your country to have your passport stamped with the MVV visa sticker. Once the visa is stamped in your passport, you can travel to the Netherlands. Once you arrive in the Netherlands, the IND will inform the university when your residence permit can be collected. This residence permit is a study residence permit with an expiry date.

For more information on the MVV and the conditions that apply, please visit the IND website at

» FAQ Studying @ Wittenborg