Work Permit: How can I get a work permit?

(Last edited: Wednesday, 15 July 2020, 5:01 PM)

If you are from the EU/EEA or Switzerland, you are free to work without restrictions. You do not need a work permit and there are no restrictions regarding working hours, other than the restrictions and rules stipulated by Dutch law in the Working Hours Act (ATW).

If you are not from the EU/EEA or Switzerland, there are some restrictions if you want to work alongside your studies. Your employer has to provide you with a personal work permit. You can only work if you have this specific work permit and you can either work part-time for a maximum of 16 hours a week during the year, or full-time (40 hours a week) in summer, during the months of June, July and August. The employer needs to apply for your work permit, called TWV (tewerkstellingsvergunning) at least 5 weeks prior to the start of your employment. You can inform the company that if they do not know what to do they can refer to the websites and for clear instructions. It will take between 2 to 5 weeks before approval is given. The application is free of charge. You cannot apply for the permit yourself, but you need to ask your employer a copy of the permit, after they have received the approval. The organization that issues work permits is called the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV). You can have the permit for 16 hours a week, or have the permit for full-time during summer. These are two different requests. If you need your registration letter to prove that you are a student at Wittenborg, please contact our Registrar department ( ).

» FAQ Studying @ Wittenborg