Skip to main content

First Wittenborg Graduate from Apeldoorn talks about her experience

by Wittenborg News -
Number of replies: 0

First Wittenborg Graduate from Apeldoorn talks about her experience – Last Friday, a group of Wittenborg’s International and Dutch students received their Bachelor Degrees, and talked about their experiences at Wittenborg during the past years.

Last Friday, a group of Wittenborg’s International and Dutch students received their Bachelor Degrees, and talked about their experiences at Wittenborg during the past years. It’s Friday morning, the sun is out and the latest crop of Wittenborg graduates are warming up before their big moment in a few hours. The last touches are being put to hair and make-up, some students are tapping away on their phones while others are chatting nervously in small groups. One handsome guy refuses to put on his graduation cap for fear of messing up his look. To the rescue comes fellow graduate, Nicole van Riggelen, who puts her marketing and communication specialization skills to good use and convinces him otherwise.

Nicole has the distinction of being Wittenborg’s first born and bred Apeldoorn graduate and was well known within the institute after the sterling job she did as the marketing intern until around the end of May this year.

Wittenborg Graduates Nicky van Riggelen and Binh Minh TranNicole, congratulations. What is your background and why did you decide to study at Wittenborg?

In 2009 I came back from the United States where I spent six months doing a language course. That was also an international environment, so when I came back to Apeldoorn I missed it so much that I immediately fell into a black hole of depression. Initially I decided to study psychology at the University of Amsterdam, but quit after two months upon realizing it’s not my thing. Wittenborg appealed to me because it was such a small University with a high international student component. I remember when I first paid a visit to the University and it was still located in Deventer. The lady at the front desk said to me: “Hello Nicole, welcome to Wittenborg.” in such a warm and friendly tone. I was impressed that they greeted me on my first name upon arrival and thought “Wow!”.

Did the study-experience live up to your expectations?

Yes, for sure. Wittenborg provides the type of environment where I can be myself and I loved every moment of it.

Do you have any tips for prospective students on adapting to their new environment and the Dutch way of living?

Don’t depend too much on the school in adapting and forming a new social circle. Go out there and explore. Get in touch with Apeldoorn!

What was your favorite subject?

I enjoyed Public Relations and Sales. It was interesting and the content was very appropriate for me.

What was the toughest subject?

Business Accounting. I had to it five times because I kept on failing it.

What is next for you?

I have not decided completely yet. For now I still work part-time at a restaurant, but hope to secure a good job soon. I’d really like to make use of my international experience.

How will you celebrate this milestone?

Party. Party. Party....

WUP 12/7/2013

by Anesca Smith

©Wittenborg University Press

491 words