Skip to main content

EBA Thesis Explores Gen Z's Sustainable Coffee Shop Choices in Vietnam

by Wittenborg News -
Number of replies: 0

Wittenborg Student Unveils Insights into Green Marketing Impact on Gen Z Coffee Shop Choices

Wittenborg student Kieu Huynh took centre stage in Amsterdam to present her GA/FP (Graduation Assignment and Final Project) Oral Defence on 1 December, and revealed insights into the impact of green marketing mix components on the coffee shop choices of Gen Z consumers in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.

As her journey in Entrepreneurship & Small Business at Wittenborg comes to an end, Huynh explains her choice of topic, stating, "I chose the green marketing mix as a primary topic for my thesis for two reasons. First, I hope that this study provides valuable data for coffee shops in Ho Chi Minh City that want to implement green concepts into their company marketing activities. As a consequence, revenue would increase while consumer environmental awareness would improve. Second, as part of the younger Vietnamese generation, I am always concerned with environmental issues." 

She proceeded to use a survey to explore the impact of green marketing mix components on the coffee shop choices of Gen Z customers. Collecting 90 responses via social media platforms, respondents answered 28 questions related to their opinions on 'green product', 'green price', 'green promotion' and 'green place'.

In this case, 'green products' are products chosen with environmental safety in mind and involve identified origin or sustainable processes. In most cases, customers prefer organic products, such as organic coffee beans, and eco-friendly packaging.

Addressing distribution, Huynh emphasised minimising emissions and ensuring accessibility. "Businesses can also improve sustainability by selecting delivery services using bicycles or electric vehicles," she explains.  

'Green promotion', however, took centre stage, as it is important for these coffee shops to showcase their green initiatives and highlight their specific environmentally friendly practices.  

Survey results ultimately indicated that 'green promotion' and 'green product' have a positive impact on the coffee shop choices of Gen Z in Ho Chi Minh City. In contrast, the other two factors, 'green prices' and 'green places', have a negative impact on their choices. Huynh noted the 'premium price' associated with sustainable manufacturing, particularly evident in bio+ coffee beans. Coffee shops adopting such products set higher prices, connecting quality and environmental features.

"Therefore, I recommend that coffee shops leverage 'green product' and 'green promotion' to develop marketing activities for their business," Huynh says, stating that the introduction of organic products and eco-labels is a good starting point.  

She also notes that, "Coffee shops need to talk about costs because customers want eco-friendly products, but they also have a budget to consider."  

As Huynh approaches graduation, she hopes to kick start her career in a field she is passionate about, aiming to apply her expertise and skills in her future endeavours. 

WUP 12/1/2023

by Erene Roux

©WUAS Press 

482 words