Type 1 assessments are closed or open book examinations held in school under invigilation. After having experimented with online exam type 1 examinations, uploaded answers and the management of these during the retake weeks of block 8 (which were held at the end of August) we have identified various issues with organizing a traditional open book exam online.
Therefore, we have decided to implement the following for the complete academic year 2020-21:
- From Block 1, all Type 1 assessments will now follow the following format:
- Type 1 assessments will now be assignments given in the form of open-book questions. The questions should result in a report that is uploaded through Turnitin;
- The examiner could ask either similar questions on a certain topic or could be a different set of questions to effectively cover the module aims and objectives. It will not be a standard type 2 exam report, project and/or theoretical paper but open-ended questions with an application, reasoning, reflection etc.;
- Per question, there should be a description/instructions on what the student is expected to do, plus a maximum and minimum word count for all questions. The Type 1 assignment will be created in a ready to use a Word template that the student downloads and completes. This will provide uniformity;
- The assignment with questions for final module assessments should be made available to students as of 4 pm on the Friday of week five of the block;
- The deadline for submission of the assignment through turning it in should be set as 4 pm on the Friday of exam week of the block (week 6);
Type 2 assignments have no changes to the standard assessment as described in the relevant EEG and module guides.