Thursday, 21 January 2021, 6:17 PM
Site: Welcome to Wittenborg Online
Module: Welcome to Wittenborg Online (Wittenborg Online)
Glossary: FAQ Studying @ Wittenborg
Hanna Abdelwahab Hanna

MVV: What is MVV (Regular Provisional Residence Permit)

(Last edited: Wednesday, 5 August 2020, 12:13 PM)

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit (Dutch ID card for non Dutch residence). But before you can travel to the Netherlands, you will have to apply for a long-stay visa. This visa is called an authorisation for temporary stay (or the MVV).

The MVV is a special entrance visa. Your nationality defines whether you have to apply for an MVV or not. For some nationalities and in some situations, an exemption applies and you do not need an MVV.

If you want to apply for an MVV, you need a purpose of stay in the Netherlands. This could be stay with a family member, study or work. Each purpose of stay has specific requirements you have to meet. There are also a number of general conditions that apply to everyone, regardless of the purpose of the stay.

Usually it is the sponsor in the Netherlands who applies for the MVV. The sponsor is the person you are going to stay with in the Netherlands (example spouse) or the organisation that arranges your stay (e.g. a university or employer). The sponsor applies for the MVV at the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) which is basically the Dutch Immigration Authorities.

For non-EU students, your MVV and residence permit will be applied by the university on your behalf. Once it is approved, you will receive a letter from the university informing you to make an appointment at the Dutch embassy in your country to have your passport stamped with the MVV visa sticker. Once the visa is stamped in your passport, you can travel to the Netherlands. Once you arrive in the Netherlands, the IND will inform the university when your residence permit can be collected. This residence permit is a study residence permit with an expiry date.

For more information on the MVV and the conditions that apply, please visit the IND website at


MVV: Why is my MVV visa only valid for 90 days?

(Last edited: Wednesday, 5 August 2020, 12:56 PM)

The MVV is a special entrance visa which is needed by a non EU/EEA resident to enter the Netherlands. It is valid for 90 days and will only be issued in combination with a residence permit.

Once your application for an MVV and residence permit is approved, the IND (Dutch Immigration Authority) will inform the Dutch embassy or consulate in your home country. You will then have to arrange an appointment with the Dutch embassy or consulate general to have your passport stamped with the MVV visa and also to provide your biometric information (fingerprints, passport photo and signature) in order for the IND to make your residence permit.

The 90 days cap is to allow time for you to make an appointment at the Dutch embassy (which normally can take more than 2 weeks) and prepare for your departure to the Netherlands. You have to travel to the Netherlands within the 90 days. Once you arrive in the Netherlands, you will have to wait for an additional 2 weeks before your residence permit can be collected. It is important that you ensure your MVV has not expired before you receive your residence permit.

Take note that you cannot request for an extension of the 90 days. If your MVV visa has expired (the 90 days is over), your sponsor will have to submit for a new application and you will have to pay for this new application.

COVID-19 situation: In view of the COVID-19 situation, new rules have been set by the IND. You can check for additional information from the IND website at


Orientation Year: Can I use my orientation year/search year residence permit to work outside the Netherlands?

(Last edited: Wednesday, 15 July 2020, 5:12 PM)

No, you can only use your orientation year residence permit to work in the Netherlands.

The Dutch residence permit for the orientation year (oriëntatiejaar or zoekjaar - search year) does not give you the right to work in other countries, even in the Schengen area. If you want to work in another (Schengen member) state, you will have to apply for a residence permit and/or a work permit in that state. Take note that your stay in other Schengen member states is limited to a maximum of 90 days within a period of 180 days. If you intend to stay in another Schengen member state longer, you must comply with the immigration regulations of that country. Take note also that if you do not have and keep your main residence in the Netherlands during the orientation year, your residence permit can be revoked. Having main residence in the Netherlands is a key requirement to retain a Dutch residence permit.


Orientation Year: I am graduating soon. How can I apply for a search year (zoekjaar) visa?

(Last edited: Thursday, 26 November 2020, 5:22 PM)

Note: The orientation year or zoekjaar residence permit is only applicable if you have been in the Netherlands on a study visa and you are not an EU/EEA resident.

If you have successfully completed your university studies and you would like to stay in the Netherlands to find a job or start your own company, you have to apply for the orientation (search) year or zoekjar residence permit. Once you have passed your Graduation Assignment (GA)/Final Project (FP) Oral Defence, Wittenborg will start your deregistration process and inform the Dutch Immigration Office (IND) as we are legally bound to do so within 4 weeks of the Oral Defence day. This means that your study visa will be invalid after 4 weeks of your GA/FP Oral Defence. Unfortunately, this period cannot be extended as per the regulations of IND. During this 4-week period, we will prepare and sign your 'Declaration of Study Completion'. You need this document to apply for your orientation year residence permit at IND (alternatively, you can use your Graduation Diploma if you have received it). If you would like this document, please send us an email at with your full name, student number and your current registered address details. We will send you this document within one week after your Oral Defence. Take note that you need to apply for this new residence permit as soon as possible to avoid facing a "residency gap".

Here are some tips on how to apply for the Orientation Year Residence Permit:

1) You can start the online application on the IND website at . Click the ‘Apply online’ button. Alternatively you can apply by mail, but this will take a longer processing time.

2) For the online application, you need your DigiD and iDeal

3) There will be a fee charged for your application. Currently, (in  2020), the fee is €174. (Please check the website for any updates on the cost of application).

4) You also need to upload some documents together with your application. You can check the list of documents that you need to upload from the same website.

5) After your application has been received, the IND will send a confirmation letter. The letter will state the date the IND has received the application and the period within which the IND makes a decision. As a rule, the IND has to make a decision within a period of 90 days. However, if you apply online and your application is complete, the IND strives to handle your application in 2 weeks.

6) There are certain conditions which you need to satisfy before applying for this residence permit. Please check for more details from the same website.

You can refer to the attached FAQ document from IND if you have any other queries.


Registration Letter: How can I get my registration letter?

(Last edited: Tuesday, 4 August 2020, 12:53 PM)
If you need your registration letter, please send an email to with your full name and student number. We will send it to you after checking your educational status and financial requirements.

Registration: I am unable to meet the study credit requirement to continue my registration at WUAS, what do I do?

(Last edited: Friday, 11 September 2020, 8:56 AM)

The Wittenborg EEG rules and regulations state that, in order to continue a successful registration, a student must obtain at least 30 European study credits (ECs) within 12 months. 

Only where there are mitigating circumstances preventing the student from successful studying and, therefore, leaving the student unable to gain sufficient credits to continue their studies, can exemption to the credit requirement be requested. The request must be submitted by filling in this webform. Please be aware that an exemption to the credit requirement can only be requested once within the duration of the degree programme

The Student Registrar will evaluate the request based on the explanation and documentation provided and will inform the student and the Process Tutor of the final decision within 2 weeks after the request has been submitted. The request will only be taken into consideration if the request has been submitted at least 1 block before the 12 months have passed.    

If a student does not meet the credit requirement by the end of the 12 months and did not have any mitigating circumstances preventing the student from obtaining the credits, the deregistration process will be set into motion within 4 weeks after the 12 months have passed. For EU students, the deregistration will be communicated to the Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs (DUO). For non-EU/EER students, WUAS will inform the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) of deregistration, leading to a revocation of the study residence permit. 


Retake: When can I retake my failed exams?

(Last edited: Thursday, 22 October 2020, 12:15 PM)

Starting from Block 2 (2020-2021), all retakes (both Type 1 and Type 2 exams) are to be done in the regular retake blocks (4 & 8) as stipulated in the respective EEGs.


Special Seat: What is a special seat and how does it work?

(Last edited: Monday, 14 September 2020, 11:04 PM)

On condition that a student has a mitigating circumstance and/or a minimum of 210ECs (Bachelors) and 50ECs (Masters), a request can be made via the Special Seat Request Form if the remaining module is not within the block(s) prior to Graduation.  A Maximum of 2 modules can be requested. A student is permitted to do a special seat only once. Otherwise reverts to the normal planning of the module.

Special Seat requests are made not later than Lesson Week 1 of the block before the planned special seat i.e. For a special seat of Block 2: the request has to be made in Lesson Week 1 of Block 1.


Tuition Fee: Do I have to pay full tuition fee to Wittenborg until block 8 if I am following single degree Brighton or Double degree Brighton?

(Last edited: Wednesday, 16 September 2020, 7:51 PM)

If you are a double degree student and has just started the double degree programme, you will need at least a full year to graduate. This is because the modules from Brighton are spread across the year, and Brighton does not work with the block system, so you cannot graduate earlier. Even if your classes end in June and you have handed in your thesis, you will still be registered as a student. You will officially graduate only when all the results are published, which will be in July/August. Therefore you will be invoiced until block 8.

If you are following a single degree Brighton programme, you still need to pay the full tuition fee to us until block 8. This is because in order to follow the Brighton program you have to be fully registered at Wittenborg officially and legally as a student. The modules are also co-taught by Wittenborg and Brighton. The annual tuition fee for both single degree and double degree is the same so whichever degree you are following, you will pay the same fee.


Turnitin Similarity/Plagiarism: Does Turnitin show percentage of similarity and plagiarism? Or any highlighted area for plagiarism?

(Last edited: Monday, 19 October 2020, 4:41 PM)

When a paper is submitted via Turnitin, an overall percentage of similarity or originality score (with colour code) is shown (see picture below). The similarity score is just a percentage of text in the student’s paper that matches sources in the Turnitin database. Turnitin does not detect nor check for plagiarism but it highlights the text in the student’s paper that is similar to or matches against another source. The picture below shows a Turnitin Originality Report in the Document Viewer window. On the right of the image, you will see a numbered list of matched sources. Each of these is allocated a colour and number and these correspond to the number and colour in the student’s text. A high percentage does not mean there is plagiarism and a low match score does not mean there is no plagiarism. However, a large percentage could indicate that the student has used too much from one source, or a direct copying of text from that source – see the red highlighted text numbered 1. A high percentage could also mean poor paraphrasing by student – see the pink highlighted text numbered 2. Both these high percentages are grounds for further investigation by the teacher on the student’s paper as direct copying and insufficient paraphrasing, even with proper referencing are considered as plagiarism. 

At Wittenborg, up to 20% similarity is acceptable for all submissions through Turnitin as long as the submission is properly referenced as per Harvard referencing style. Above 20% but no more than 30% similarity must be motivated/justified by the student to be accepted for assessment. The 20% similarity does not automatically imply the submission is plagiarism-free as there could also be cases of plagiarism with less than 20% similarity. The submission must be properly referenced as per Harvard referencing style.

Turnitin example


Turnitin/Plagiarism & Similarity: How will I know what changes I need to make after I viewed the Turnitin Originality Report and how can I lower the similarity score?

(Last edited: Wednesday, 21 October 2020, 1:08 PM)

Check the ‘Match Overview’ of the Originality Report (picture shown below) and take note of sources which have more than 1% similarity. Make changes to your text, not only to lower your overall similarity score but also to lower the similarity of each source higher than 1%. Here are some suggestions on what you can do:

1) Remove or change strings of commonly used phrases or text (5-8 words) such as 'Sustainability is important for the environment', as such phrase is very common in the internet and will show up in the similarity score.

2) Put all exact words in quotation marks, or in an indented paragraph. Then use the filter key in Turnitin and exclude 'quotes' and 'bibliography'. (Refer to this link on how to use the filter function: However, a better way is to paraphrase everything in your own words, even if it is a definition, and provide the references. Make sure you don't just find synonyms of words or change few words here and there because Turnitin can detect similarity in sentences too.

3) Check the individual percentages of the sources. If the percentage for one or more of the sources are 2% or more (see the example in the picture below), reduce or paraphrase the text from that source. For example, referring to the picture below, reduce text from Sources no. 1, 2, 3 and 4.

 These are some ways in which you can reduce the similarity score, but take note that a low similarity score does not definitely mean that your assignment is plagiarism-free. In addition to the above, you have to ensure that you have not committed any of the possible cases of plagiarism. For this, you have to check the EEG Part 5b. You can also refer to the attached document 'A Guide to Plagiarism - for students' on how to avoid plagiarism. 

Turnitin Score


Work Permit: How can I get a work permit?

(Last edited: Wednesday, 15 July 2020, 5:01 PM)

If you are from the EU/EEA or Switzerland, you are free to work without restrictions. You do not need a work permit and there are no restrictions regarding working hours, other than the restrictions and rules stipulated by Dutch law in the Working Hours Act (ATW).

If you are not from the EU/EEA or Switzerland, there are some restrictions if you want to work alongside your studies. Your employer has to provide you with a personal work permit. You can only work if you have this specific work permit and you can either work part-time for a maximum of 16 hours a week during the year, or full-time (40 hours a week) in summer, during the months of June, July and August. The employer needs to apply for your work permit, called TWV (tewerkstellingsvergunning) at least 5 weeks prior to the start of your employment. You can inform the company that if they do not know what to do they can refer to the websites and for clear instructions. It will take between 2 to 5 weeks before approval is given. The application is free of charge. You cannot apply for the permit yourself, but you need to ask your employer a copy of the permit, after they have received the approval. The organization that issues work permits is called the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV). You can have the permit for 16 hours a week, or have the permit for full-time during summer. These are two different requests. If you need your registration letter to prove that you are a student at Wittenborg, please contact our Registrar department ( ).


Work Placement Preparation Online Session: Where can I find the information/teams meeting link for Work Placement Preparation Online Session?

(Last edited: Wednesday, 2 September 2020, 4:29 PM)

The Work Placement Preparation Online session is scheduled in blocks 1 and 5. This session is open to all students. If you cannot find it in your timetable, you can manually add it in your timetable. Once you are logged-in in the timetable, you need to click ‘Module” (right side) and then search for ‘Work Placement’. Click on the 'Work Placement Preparation Online' and click next. From there, you can easily find the teams meeting link.

FAQ - WP Online Session Sign up



Work Placement/Internship: Can I replace Work Placement credits with other modules?

(Last edited: Thursday, 10 December 2020, 10:56 AM)

Replacement of credits is ONLY applicable for Direct Entry Final Year students. Students can take specialisation modules from phase 2 in their own specialisation and/or phase 3 modules from other specialisations to replace the Work Placement with equivalent ECs. Please notice that students cannot choose modules and specialisation across different campuses (e.g. Apeldoorn student cannot choose EBA modules offered in Amsterdam). Student must make an agreement for possible modules with their process tutor. Once the modules have been chosen, the student needs to send an email to and CC process tutor with the subject: Replace Work Placement_snumber or Replace In-company Training. List the modules with the full module name and module code in the email.

*COVID-19 period: students who have been granted to replace Work Placement and/or In-company Training also need to follow the above rules and send an email to copying process tutor, with the subject: Replace Work Placement_snumber or In Company Training_Snumber. Kindly note that it is necessary to clearly mentioned which module do you want to replacement (Work Placement or In Company Training). List the modules with a full module name and module code in the email.

Lasantha De Silva

Exam Type1: What are the new changes to exam type 1 in 2020-21?

(Last edited: Thursday, 29 October 2020, 12:07 PM)

Type 1 assessments are closed or open book examinations held in school ​under invigilation​. After having experimented with online ​exam type 1 examinations, uploaded answers and the management of these during the retake weeks of block 8 (which were held at the end of August) we have identified various issues with ​organizing a traditional open book exam online.

Therefore, we have decided to implement the following ​for the complete academic year 2020-21:

  • From Block 1, all Type 1 assessments will now follow the following format:
    • Type 1 assessments will now be assignments given in the form of open-book questions. The questions should result in a report that is uploaded through Turnitin;
    • ​The examiner could ask either similar questions on a certain topic or could be a different set of questions to effectively cover the module aims and objectives. It will not be a standard type 2 exam report, project and/or theoretical paper but open-ended questions with an application, reasoning, reflection etc.; 
    • Per question, there should be a description/instructions on what the student is expected to do, plus a maximum and minimum word count for all questions.  The Type 1 assignment will be created in a ready to use a Word template that the student downloads and completes. This will provide uniformity;
    • The assignment ​with questions for ​final module assessments should be made available to students as of 4 pm on the Friday of week five of the block;
    • The deadline for submission of the assignment through turning it in should be set as 4 pm on the Friday of exam week of the block (week 6);

Type 2 assignments have no changes to the standard assessment as described in the relevant EEG and module guides.

Myra Qiu

In-Company Training/Work Placement/Internship: My In-Company Training or Work Placement is terminated or suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic. What can I do?

(Last edited: Wednesday, 26 August 2020, 3:29 PM)

Please fill in this FORM. One of the External Relations & Work Placement team members will provide you with advice by email within 3 working days.


Internship/Work Placement: Internship cannot be found due to COVID-19. Can I take modules to replace it?

(Last edited: Tuesday, 28 July 2020, 9:27 AM)

Please complete the form via the link below. One of the External Relations & Work Placement team members will provide you with advice by email within 3 working days.



Internship/Work Placement: Is it possible to do a part-time internship?

(Last edited: Tuesday, 20 October 2020, 1:38 PM)

Yes, it is possible to do a part-time internship, as long as you have fulfilled the academic requirements written in EEG Part 7. The duration of the Work Placement is a minimum of 3 months full-time, therefore, the part-time Work Placement should have equivalent working hours. 


Part-time/Online Job: Can I find an online part-time job in the Netherlands? Due to COVID-19, I am not able to travel to the Netherlands.

(Last edited: Saturday, 11 July 2020, 10:07 AM)

Most of the part-time jobs in NL require you to be physically in NL, so it is nearly impossible to find an online part-time job.

Suggestion: It is highly unlikely that you will be able to find an online part-time job in the Netherlands. Most jobs require you to be physically present in the Netherlands. Furthermore, to be able to work in the Netherlands, you need a residence permit and/or a work permit (TWV). If you are a new student from a non-EU country, you would not have your resident permit card, and BSN (Social Security No.) yet until you arrive in the Netherlands. These two are prerequisites for being employed in the Netherlands. You can find more details from the IND website:


Study Agreement Update from 2020-2021

(Last edited: Wednesday, 23 September 2020, 8:52 AM)

From the academic year 2020-2021, Registrar's Office provides students with the most up-to-date study credit overview and the newest Study Agreement (Study Advice) for students to sign. 
A study agreement is a formal requirement towards the fulfilment of the tutoring process for all students.
Contact the